Website Search Engine Optimization
Once you have your site online, you need to know if it is formatted correctly and Search Engine friendly. By using the below tools you can test your website and make improvements to increase the rank of your site.
Search Engine Optimization Myths
- Small young sites cannot outrank older and more established sites.
If the site you create is more relevant to what the searcher is after then Google will rank it higher no matter what the age or size. Google only delivers what it sees is most suitable to the searchers needs.
- Maintain a specific % of keyword density in your content.
Google only rates content on how relevant it is to the search in question, and will not penalise you for having too many keywords in your content as long as it is relevant and will benefit the searcher.
- Building links too quickly will get you banned/penalized.
As long as you build your links naturally and do not use the same specific keywords for all your links then the search engines will not penalize you for this. eg. If a major news story breaks, Google does not block the content as 1000's of links will be created to that story all over the web.
- Google does not value the 'Meta Data' tags that you enter on your site.
Google does use this meta data and usually uses the Meta Description tag to display in the search results, so still enter any relevant meat data you can into your sites.
- Links from relevant sites are more popular than from sites in other niches.
Google can't tell the relevance of a link, and so this is not too important. If your site is recommended from a completely different niche, then this only adds to the quality of your links as they are saying your site has content that is worth visiting.
- Duplicate content will get your site banned.
This is completely false as you can use articles etc. from other sites as long as it is relevant to your site content and what the searcher was searching for. Don't believe the hype that you need to make all your content unique and change content just to get ranked. Good quality relevant content is good content.
Free Search Engine Optimization Tips
- Check your site is not banned from Google by using the Google Banned Checker Tool. There is no point optimizing a site that Google has not accepted.
- Check different aspects of your website like page rank, metatag data, and links. Use the below tools to do this:-
- iWebTool: Web Tools - Free Webmaster tools to improve and check your site.
Check to see if your web page is optimized for the search engines. This free online tool will check your metatags and page content for errors. Results will not only include errors found, but will
also offer suggestions for improvement!
- Web Page Analyzer - 0.98 - from Website Optimization - Free Website Performance Tool and Web Page Speed Analysis.
- Site Analyzer - Use the site analyzer to get a comprehensive report of your site. It's fast & free!
- Optimize your site for specific keywords. There is no point having a site that is optimized for low search volume keywords.
- Create a XML Sitemap. This is a special sitemap for use by the search engines and can greatly improve the way the search engines index your site and make sure all pages get indexed.
- Create relevant back links to your site from other ranked websites. You can check you links with a Link Popularity Checker. You can get quality links back to your site by submitting it to many of the online directories.
Other Free Search Engine Optimization Sites
BrowserShots - Browsershots makes screenshots of your web design in different browsers.
Google Penalty Checker Tool - Use Fruition's Google Penalty Checker tool to find out which Google update impacted your website in 2 minutes or less.
Google Trends - Quickly find what topics are hot and receiving a lot of searches.
Open Site Explorer is Moz's Search Engine for Links. Perform competitive link research, explore backlinks, anchor text, and more for free.
Quarkbase.com - Quarkbase is the best way to find website information contributed by website owner, lover and the Internet Community.
SimilarWeb - Explore the most important traffic insights for any website to improve your market research, competitive analysis and business development.
Website Grader -
Website Grader is a free SEO tool that measures the marketing effectiveness of a website. It provides a score that incorporates things like website traffic, SEO, social popularity and other
technical factors. It also provides some basic advice on how the website can be improved from a marketing perspective.